My dad and I cooked chili since I was a kid, including beef and venison versions. This one uses tea to add a smooth and smoky flavor. It’s perfect for tailgating or a night at home watching the big game. But don’t forget to add your favorite toppings – we love adding sour cream and shredded cheese. ~ Alan
* As featured in Issue 1 of Adventures with Tea eMagazine!
We’re proud to say our Smoky Chili is now award-winning! It was named Best in Show at the Camp Yampire Virtual State Fair in September 2020. Some of the judge’s comments included “slightly sweet” and “brisket-y.”
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 2 tsp Garlic powder or 2 cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Onion medium, diced
- 1 can Diced tomatoes 14-oz, or 2 fresh
- 3 cups Tomato juice
- 1 can Kidney beans 15-oz, drained
- 3 tsp Fire Up the Grill loose tea ground fine
Brown beef in a 3-quart saucepan with garlic and diced onion. Then add remaining ingredients (except for tea) and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 40-60 minutes.
While chili is simmering, measure loose tea into a spice grinder and grind into fine powder.
Once chili is heated, turn off the burner and stir in ground tea. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.